Being a human is such a short (and long!), strange (and normal!) experience; artists hope to translate it, which is a sort of silly and stubborn thing to do. In my own silly and stubborn work, I pay careful attention to nature, humor, and humanness. I’m a writer and a drawer and a painter, and I intentionally intersect the visual with the verbal. My hope is to experiment with the ways our brains use language — in all its many iterations — to interpret life on earth.
SCHOOL OF THE ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO, 2015 - 2017
Masters’ of Fine Arts in Writing
PRACTITIONER TEACHERS PROJECT, 2008 - 2009
Louisiana State Teaching Certificate, Advanced
Certification is advanced upon five years of full-time teaching.
WHITMAN COLLEGE, 2004 - 2008
Bachelor of Arts in English Creative Writing, Minors in Studio Art
B.A. English achieved Spring 2008
Cumulative GPA: 3.6; Major GPA: 3.8; Honors in English Creative Writing
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2016-present
Adjunct professor, 2017-present
Designs syllabus, crafts instructional plan, and lead-teaches 4-hour creative writing and analytical reading classes once per week at the freshman college level.
TA-A (Lead Lecturer/ Professor), 2016
- Independently designed a syllabus for a freshman writing course on the subject of mental health in traditional and graphic literature. Assigned projects and papers, designed classes, independently taught 4-hour classes once per week, and graded all course work.
Country Day Creative Arts, summer 2015
- Designed syllabi and taught four units of creative writing and bookmaking for students ages 9-15.
- Taught arts-integrated social emotional lessons to students with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Emotional Disturbances, from grades 4 through 12.
- Developed “With Feeling: Emotional Intelligence Through The Arts,” a free arts-integrated social emotional curriculum available through KidsmART.
- Collaborated with KidsMART as a general education Axis teacher for five years.
Kennedy Center, 2014-2016
- Designed workshops for educators in the Washington, DC area and presented on the subject of visual arts and emotional literacy integration.
- Designed webinars for educators nationwide and presents them on the subject of visual arts and emotional literacy integration.
Langston Hughes Academy, 2009-2013
Emotional Literacy/ Arts Integration Specialist, 2011-2013
- Taught a self-contained classroom of children with emotional disturbance; lead weekly pull-out sessions for students with behavioral difficulties in visual arts and emotional literacy.
Special Education Coordinator, K-4, 2011-2013
- Managed three teachers; led professional development workshops on special education; managed Individual Education Plans for students with special needs; taught 12 small intervention groups; represented school for the FirstLine Schools Network; developed behavior intervention plans; conducted a variety of meetings for students’ families.
First Grade Teacher, 2010-2011
- Worked as lead teacher in a first grade general education setting.
Special Education Second Grade Inclusion Teacher, 2009-2010
- Worked as a special education teacher in a second grade inclusion setting.
Rabouin High School, 2008-2009
Special Education Coordinator, 10-12
- Worked as a Special Education teacher and chairperson in inclusion, self-contained, and resource settings in a 10th, 11th, and 12th grade high school in the Recovery School District.
Teach for America Summer Institute, 2008
First Grade Teacher, Phoenix, Arizona
Writing, Journalism, and the Arts
F Newsmagazine, 2015-2017
Managing Editor, 2016-2017
- Manages award-winning student-run newsmagazine at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Leads editorial meetings, makes print and online publication decisions, acts as community liaison, writes weekly news updates, writes several articles per week, illustrates articles, assists in design project.
Web Editor, 2015-2016
- Orchestrated daily content on news website, copy-edited for all published content, operated and managed content management system.
Neutrons Protons Magazine, 2012-present
Founder, editor-in-chief, workshop leader
- Designs all original artwork, solicits comic work, and edits all creative writing for online literary magazine and blog, maintains website, directs staff of six, manages submissions. Site receives 2000 hits per day. Magazine is also in print.
- Designed curriculum and taught creative writing workshops for adults at Big Class in New Orleans on the subject of Creative Nonfiction.
The Chicagoist, 2016-2017
- Worked on a fill-in basis to produce up to eight articles per day for popular Chicago-based news and culture website.
Illustrator, visual watercolor artist
- Illustrates for many mainstream publications, including The Guardian, VICE, Jezebel, and others.
New Movement Theater, 2011-2015
Performer, producer, social media director
- Coached and taught improvisational comedy classes at local comedy theater. Performs with sketch comedy team and improv comedy team. Participates in comedy festivals nationwide, and has gone on two nationwide comedy tours. Directs social media accounts for several of the theater’s sub-sects.
The Nation Magazine, summer 2007
Awards and Recognitions
Annual MFAW Writing Fellowship from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2017
Stipend awarded annually for outstanding writing to two graduating students in the MFAW program
Annual MFAW Teaching Fellowship from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2017
Stipend and teaching position awarded annually to one graduating student in the MFAW program
Outstanding Leadership Award from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2017
Monetary award for service and leadership for graduating students
First Place for Best Alternative Story Design from MSUND Design Contest, 2017
Second Place for Best Editorial Cartoon from the Illinois College Press Association, 2017
First Place for Best Arts Criticism from the Illinois College Press Association, 2016
Recipient of the Dean’s Scholarship at SAIC for MFAW Program, 2015
Winner of Hippocampus Magazine’s Creative Nonfiction Contest, 2014
Recipient of Institute of Mental Hygiene Annual Grant, with KidsmART, 2013, 2014
Received a grant to develop social emotional curriculum for students in New Orleans
Recipient of New Orleans Jazz Institute Grant, 2013
For commitment to live music at Shipwrecked! Storytelling show
Nominee for Sue Lehmann Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2010
Distinction and Honors on English major at Whitman College, 2008
Completed an Honors’ Thesis for creative writing and poetry in homage to Walt Whitman
Award Recipient for Whitman College Honor of the Wailaptu, 2008
Winner of Hosokawa Award in Journalism, 2006 and 2007
Won two $500 awards in 2006: Best News Reporting and Best Opinion Writing. Won one $500 award in 2007: Best Opinion Writing.
Recipient of the Whitman College Anderson Scholarship, 2004
Whitman College Pioneer, 2005-2008
The Walla Walla Union Bulletin, 2007-2008
The Hyde Park Herald, 2006
Wilson High School Statesman, 2000-2004
Co-founder, producer, Shipwrecked!
Co-created popular New Orleans-specific storytelling show and podcast.
Founding member and web designer for The New Teachers’ Roundtable, New Orleans
Participated in formal discussions and activism surrounding the teaching community in New Orleans. Designed and manages the website NewTeachersNola.org.
Current volunteer for several after school programs through One Good Deed Chicago. Past projects included work for Survivor’s Village, The United Teachers of New Orleans, Habitat for Humanity, and the New Orleans Childcare Collective.
Langston Hughes Academy DIBELS mentor and coordinator school-wide
Responsibilities included leading professional development and mentors whole staff on DIBELS diagnostic testing.
Co-founder and co-facilitator for Troupe 947 Adventure Krewe
Responsibilities included coordinating monthly camping trips for students in RSD schools.
President of Action for Animals; Vice President of Whitman Peace Coalition; member of Black Student Union. Actor in several school-wide theatrical productions.
Touchstone Books (Simon & Schuster), 2018
Many Love: An Illustrated Journey Through Relationship Structures
The Guardian, 2015
Hippocampus Magazine, 2014
Teaching Artists’ Journal, 2013-14